[Gimp-user] Text display broken in 2.8.14 OS-X gimp?

I've just installed the native os-x download of GIMP 2.8.14.

(previous GIMP experience solely on linux / bsd, so I can't
compare with earlier OS-X GIMPs)

Couldn't get text to display.

The text tool outlines a box, but typed text doesn't show.
The text *does* show up in the layer label on the layer control panel.
I hadn't altered any colours, text foreground was still default black.

Project is grayscale (blank canvas created as grayscale 600ppi),
with a couple of images pasted in / rescaled.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Douglas