Re: [Gimp-user] configuring GIMP for sawgrass superdriver V4

On Wed, Nov 04, 2015 at 09:18:46AM +0100, kwisj wrote:
Hi
I downloaded and set up SG powerdriver V4 for my Ricoh sg7100DN printer and then
eventually found out that I should download the powerdriver, which I did. But it
says there are two parts to the set up: one of which is configuring your
graphics program. I have installed powerdriver, but I dont know how to configure
GIMP 28 for the powerdriver. There are instructions on the sawgrass site for
various professional programs but not for gimp: it seems that these programs
have preinstalled files relevant to the powerdriver. See here
http://sawgrassink.indigofiles.com/product_documentation/sublijet/pdv4/SJR_7100_PSG_PS_CS5.5_PDv4_Preset.pdf
Does any one know anything about configuring gimp for the SG Powerdiver?

I do not want to be rude and I know that is not polite to answer a
question with other questions but anyway, forgive my curiosity please,
some questions pops up in my mind:

* why ask for support of a commercial product here?
* Are we in any way connected with this proprietary software?
* Should we?
* Why should we support any proprietary software for free
  (as in beer) when they gain the real money?
* did you ask for support to the proprietary software first?
* if you asked for support first did they answer you and what?

I understand that all started with buying that printer and because of
that you are now involvend involuntary in all this driver mess but I
really think that:

* IMHO creating some "driver" that needs some software support installed on
  all graphics softwares is all but a great idea
* you really should contact the printer and/or the driver software
  authors for this kind of support and specifically ask for GIMP support
  since I doubt that that kind of support comes from the various graphic
  software authors

this is my not very humble opinion and it is _not_ connected with any
GIMP devs opinion and sorry if I seem to be rude anyway but this was
not my intention. I hope you are understanding my points.

--

Marco Ciampa

| GNU/Linux User  #78271 |
| FSFE fellow       #364 |