[Gimp-user] Questions about normal maps and GIMP

Friends,

In the past I have had the occasional need to produce a "normal map" from an image, and had good success from the plug in "Normal Map 1-2-3". But I hadn't used it for a while, in fact since before I upgraded my OS (to Windows 8 64 bit). I have not been able to install this plug-in successfully into my GIMP installation, perhaps because I have the installation in a custom place.

One of the other options I've looked at is the "Insane Bump" plug in, but I haven't decided to try to install that one either, because of a characteristic it seems to share with Normalmap, namely that it has been a while (though not as long as with Normal map) since the package has been updated. Combined with the age of the 2.8.14 release of GIMP, it seems prudent to ask some questions.

Is the capability to produce a normal map from within GIMP something that is apt to be added to the native codebase in the next major release (3.0)?

Is anyone aware of a better normal map plug-in than the two listed above available now, or under development for release in the near future?

ns