Re: [Gimp-user] Commercial Use of GIMP?

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 6:12 PM, Kevin Redona <kiloreconzromeo yahoo com> wrote:
 Hello all.  May someone please tell me if the terms of use of GIMP allow me to use it for commercial
purposes?  May I, for example, use gimp to make or edit images for videos that I monetize for YouTube?  May
I also make a logo or trademark for my monetized YouTube channel using GIMP?  Please provide proof or
confirmation of your answer (link to terms of use, link to a webpage, etc.).  I would appreciate your

Hi Kevin,

The GIMP program (technically, the "source code") is distributed under
the GPLv3 license.
You can read the text of the license in the Help→About menu, or have a
look at http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html
In a nutshell, you will find no restrictions in using GIMP over the
artwork that you created.

GIMP is "free and open-source software", so what applies to all other
such software, applies to GIMP as well.
There is even an FAQ about your question at http://opensource.org/faq

"- Can Open Source software be used for commercial purposes?"

"- Absolutely. All Open Source software can be used for commercial
purpose; the Open Source Definition guarantees this. You can even sell
Open Source software.

However, note that commercial is not the same as proprietary. If you
receive software under an Open Source license, you can always use that
software for commercial purposes, but that doesn't always mean you can
place further restrictions on people who receive the software from
you. In particular, so-called copyleft-style Open Source licenses
require that when you distribute the software, you do so under the
same license you received it under."

Simos