Re: [Gimp-user] opening 2.9.3 file in 2.8.14 (NOT)

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 12:58 AM, Derek Mortimer <mdjs aaa co uk> wrote:
Perhaps I may add a perspective, please.

Using LibreOffice, one of the major benefits of that package is that it will
open and save as the same nearly all document formats, both old and new.
When one has document files 18 years old, this is a major benefit, giving
continuity to one's work.

Moving on to a new format gives significant advantages, but if it makes
obsolete valid and useful past work, isn't that somewhat arrogant to tell
users that past work is out of date and cannot be opened in the new version
of GIMP?

After all there are many Old Masters created in analogue format (paint?). If
they were created in digital format, should they be thrown away, just
because they were created in the most advanced format available at the time,
which is now out of date?

I'm sorry, but this is completely off-topic. Of course old works are
perfectly opened with newer versions of GIMP and this will stay so.
Why would we break older files?
If you find examples otherwise, then this is a bug, and we would
welcome bug reports for us to fix the issue.

So to make sure things are clear: we are talking about files made with
newer GIMP using new features which cannot be opened with older GIMP
(since older GIMP did not have these features).

Jehan

HTH

-----Original Message----- From: Jehan Pagès