Re: [Gimp-user] Comments on GIMP

Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2015 17:50:39 -0400
From: Jay Smith <jay JaySmith com>
To: gimp-user-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Comments on GIMP

On 08/07/2015 05:28 PM, George Misdary wrote:

I'm not certain if this is the right place for this, but here goes,
A few weeks ago I was on a mission to find a simple, yet effective, image editing program for a project
I'm working on.After several frustrating experiences with a bunch of 'complete duds' and 'nice trys', I
finally came across the GIMP.
Within a few minutes of using GIMP, my reaction was simply WOW! Over the few weeks since I've been using
it, that reaction has only continued to flourish and expand.In every step, so far, I've found GIMP to be
unbelievably intuitive, logical, stable, capable, powerful, and simply brilliant to use.It is far and away
one of the best programs I've ever used, not only as a graphics program but period!For every function that
I thought "Hmm, it'd be nice if ...", within a few seconds/minutes of poking around on the hyper-intuitive
interface; I've not only found exactly what I was looking for, but something-like a dozen other ways to
expand upon what I was looking for. Rarely do I find this level of... maturity in a program and for a
program that is released for free none-the-less, I'm simply blown away!!I'm not exaggerating when I say
that on a practically daily basis, that I've used GIMP, I find myself saying "I really love this program".
I'm sure you hear things like this fairly regularly, but I still wanted to send this email to give a HUGE
shout-out to the developers, contributors, and all involved with making this such a kick-a## product!
Kudos and THANK YOU!!!
Regards,GM

George,

If I did not know better, I would think you were a friend of one of the
developers.  :-)

Seriously I do have a question:  What other image editing program(s) do
you have experience with?  (Not just "tried them", but actual
significant use.)

My reason for asking is that Gimp is sometimes more intuitive for people
who don't have a lot of experience with another image program (because
they are somewhat expecting things to be like that other program).

You are a bit special -- in my experience, most people have a more
difficult learning curve than you seem to have had.

Jay

Hi Jay,

Lol, nope not a friend of the Devs, but I wouldn't mind being one ;)

I've used several graphics apps in the past. One of the most notable was Paint Shop Pro. Which I actually
really liked. Before Corel got their claws on it, it was a really good program. But even it was a bit of a
bear to use a lot of times and was not anywhere near as intuitive as GIMP (in my opinion). I've used
Photoshop. And while it is without a doubt incredibly powerful, it's also incredibly cumbersome and
burdensome to use. If I had a need for all of its extra stuff (and beaucoup $$$) I might feel differently.
But I did not find my experience with it nearly as pleasant, or at all.
During my recent search I've downloaded Krita and found it to be an unholy mess to use. It has a lot of
potential. But it was just... well anyway this is not the venue for that. But my experience with it was a
large reason for prompting me to write my email above :)

Plus I've used other similar apps, on and off over the years. But you are right, I definitely don't have a
lot of experience with using image programs extensively. Usually I get one, use it for the
process/project/etc I want, then will likely not access it again for a while.

My current project, however, I've used GIMP extensively. And I will be using it for some time yet to come.
And I continue to be pleased with its ease of use, vast array of usable options, and overall versatility and
stability.
My only criticism (of GIMP) is the ability, or lack of, for batch image processing. After spending some time
poking at the program itself, and coming up empty handed, I looked at GIMP's scripting language. For
everything GIMP is, the scripting language is most decidedly NOT. It's not intuitive, practical, or even
usable unless you're one of the coders that wrote that particular function, lol. I'm sure it's very powerful,
but I have yet to make any headway with using it; finding  it to be unnecessarily obtuse. I did fortunately
discover BIMP and I am once again doing the happy GIMP dance <--- you don't want to see what *that* looks
like, but at least it is happy :)

GM