[Gimp-user] Opacity in background image after using Quick Mask mode

Hello,

I am attempting to remove the backgrounds of some scanned grayscale jpg images, using the free select tool to
rough outline the selection, and adjusting the selection for fine details using the quick mask mode (see
attached screenshot). This requires switching to RGB mode. After refining the selection, I switch off Quick
Mask mode, invert the selection, and then clear the background. After clearing, I end up with patches of
opaque color where I drew over the image to alter the selection. Not sure what I could be doing wrong. Can
someone please help me with this?

Sent from [ProtonMail](https://protonmail.ch), encrypted email based in Switzerland.