Re: [Gimp-user] Strugglign with Smooth Edges

On 03/09/14 19:38, NoWhizzKid wrote:
I think we have a question for you: how did you create that? Because
it's likely more an error you do than a wrong technique.

If you want smooth outlines, you should create them using the path
tool
<http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-using-paths.html>, then create a
selection
>from the path (Select>From path) and then bucket-fill the selection.
With the path tool, the smoother lines are those created with the
least
nodes, and where the tangent handles on each node are symmetrical.

A path done using you existing foot as a guide, then used for a
selection and bucket-filled:

http://imgur.com/Phb0SHA
Oh lord, lol. I am so grateful for your reply, and the image that you have
attached is absolutely perfect - 100% what I am after. But I'm afraid I just
don't understand most of what you have explained to me with regards to tangent
handles, nodes etc. I am such an amateur!

I will experiment with the path tool, but is there any way you could explain
briefly how to start? The image I attached was originally a photograph of a
paint footprint. I used the alpha channel to remove the background, then
smoothed out the outline as best I could with the eraser and finally colourised
the image. I appreciate this isn't the right way of doing things as the image
doesn't look good! But I've taught myself how to use GIMP and it's still a
struggle as I am a real novice!

Thanks so much again for your reply :)

OK, so now I start t understand what happened to you. To remove the background, I assume that you used the layer mask technique. This can work well if you use a soft brush (ie a round brush with "fuzzy borders"). There are a few in the standard brushes (called "Hardness 100" (very hard), "Hardness 075" (medium hard), "Hardness 050", "Hardness 025"). This produces smooth lines because the edge pixels of the foot print are partially transparent(*). And to colourize the image you applied a selection from the Fuzzy select (magic wand) or the Color select. Unfortunately these tools do an all-or-nothing job. Either the pixel is fully selected or it is not selected at all. So when you apply paint, the pixels that were subtly partially transparent become fully opaque, and there are no anti-aliasing pixels left and your outline becomes jaggy. Instead, you should have used the alpha lock to protect the partial transparency of these pixels.

In other words, your technique is OK if you are careful, and the Path tool isn't necessary in this case (even if in many cases, it can solve the problem in a totally different way, as seen in my first post).

(*) see http://gimpforums.com/thread-proper-subject-extraction-background-removal-and-background-painting