[Gimp-user] Color shift when opening TIFF?

I've been using GIMP for several years to (among other things) open TIFF
files, edit, export into Acrobat Pro to create a PDF.  Today I took a
client PDF and saved it as high-res TIFF, fixed a problem, exported the
revised TIFF and converted to PDF. I do this often.

It wasn't until I got to looking at the new PDF that I noticed a big color
shift in one section. There's a pale green box with darker forest-green
text inside. Both shades of green looked like the saturation had been
pumped way up. I backtracked, and finally realized this color shift was
happening the instant GIMP opened the TIFF.

Just to be clear, this is not a buggy TIFF from outside. I made it myself
by take a normal PDF and using the Save-as-Image function. This didn't
happen with the other three images from the same project. Experimenting
with Mode made no difference.

Ideas?

Keith Purtell