Re: [Gimp-user] Help finding the right plugins and filters

April,

The particular part of G'MIC I'm referring to is "Film Emulations".  There
are quite a few different emulations for various film stocks that may get
you what you are looking for color-wise.

Bear in mind that the 'darkness' to the images in your first post are due
to a combination of processing as well as the exposure conditions at the
time.  Your sample images have quite a bit of direct sunlight in them,
which makes it a bit harder to impart a sense of 'darkness' in them.

Here's a quick (<5min) edit to show what I mean:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-_BBemcslfSU/VGDsLkisGxI/AAAAAAAASOI/qDOQTfGc6RA/s0/april-1.jpg

I used one of the film emulations (I don't remember now).  Masked her to
and raised the curves to lighten her slightly.  Added a vignette.  Then
crushed the shadows a bit and lifted the black point (in the levels dialog
- bring the input black level up, then raise the black output level to
taste).