Re: [Gimp-user] Gimp

That's okay, the GiMP will get by without you. But you're right about many things. Among these is that it is written, maintained and directed by tech people with the notion that they are taking on the big boys and that they have a "professional workflow" in mind as they continue to develop. One problem, though, as they have demonstrated time and time again, GiMP does not take complaints or suggestions.

This is where they completely miss the "professional" goal. Users and customers are considered to be valuable in the professional world and it doesn't matter if the software is free or not.

For what it's worth, I personally find GiMP easier than Photoshop. But then again, I started on GiMP and Inkscape before trying Photoshop and Illustrator. "Easy and Intuitive" has a lot to do with where you started. I started with those for graphics and in a larger sense, I started with *NIX before Linux was ever announced and never used GUIs until much later in the game and followed the principles and ideals of effective GUI design closely since then. GiMP breaks some of those rules but, as you might guess, they ignore complaints and suggestions. They keep using words like professional and workflow but I don't think they mean what they think they mean.

Be cautioned: there are a fair number of cheerleaders out there, and they aren't hard to spot.

Enjoy your experiences with Photoshop. I've never used wine in that way before and I've heard it has really matured. It has gotten me thinking that perhaps the best way for me to get the latest GiMP to work on the latest CentOS is to use wine and GiMP for Windows. I can't get it working terribly well under CentOS because of GTK compatibility issues. (I have recently learned this introduction of DLL hell was intentionally created in order to kill GNOME2. Taking a page from Microsoft's playbook? I guess they missed the part where such tactics are largely why people HATE MICROSOFT.)