Re: [Gimp-user] Gimp is not free... that's why people prefer paid software.

On Wed, Jan 08, 2014 at 08:39:12AM +0100, Marco Ciampa wrote:
On Wed, Jan 08, 2014 at 08:02:01AM +0100, FallenLegend wrote:
No, GIMP is not free Nor any open source program for that matter.It costs the
time and effort our brilliant developers gift us and yes even money because
their work has a lot of value....So why we keep pretending it is really "free".

I stop here, there is a big misunderstanding.

.... using the word "libre" instead of "free" helps a lot...

I reckon I was too concise. I meant that that stress upon the money does
not tell you the whole story. Free is about freedom. Often
developers asked no money but just programming help. IMHO money (usually)
just leads to diverge projects from the useful to the marketing / popular
/ fashion requests and that seriously hurts free projects
like GIMP. There is a reason why althought so few the free
developers produce such high quality software: they have no bosses.
They decide on their own. This behaviour is not error free but usually
produce far more efficient, better and error free code.

Compare the results with so many 24h programmers Adobe Photoshop
sports and how trementulsy efficients are GIMP devs.

I know that GIMP devs are on average smarter than Adobe ones ;-) but that
does not explain this fact. I believe freedom is "smarter" and the
only way to keep it "smart" is staying away from money.
You COULD introduce money but you have to do it without constrains, and
IMHO this is a very difficoult thing to do.
I myself have no idea on how it could be done.

Please. forgive my bad english.

--

Marco Ciampa

"L'utopia sta all'orizzonte. Mi avvicino  di due passi, lei si allontana
di due  passi. Faccio dieci  passi e  l'orizzonte si allontana  di dieci
passi.  Per quanto cammini, non la raggiungerò  mai. A cosa serve
l'utopia? A questo: serve a camminare."              Eduardo Galeano

| Linux User  #78271 |
| FSFE fellow   #364 |