Re: [Gimp-user] layer positioning

On 01/02/14 19:27, akovia wrote:
On Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 08:46 PM, Gary Aitken wrote:
On 01/02/14 17:48, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:
This would be great, but...
I must be missing something; running 2.8.10 on fbsd.
When I click on the alignment buttons, nothing happens, and they don't
change
appearance on mouse-down or mouse-up.
I can't quite tell from the glyphs, but they look like they may be greyed
out; at
least they are overall a lot lighter than most of the toolbox glyphs;
they look about
like the bucket-fill tool.  The "Offset" text box is active and allows
changes,
and the reset options does its thing.
No error messages that I can see.

Any ideas what would cause them to be inactive?
All other tools seem to work.

Sounds to me like you haven't selected the object yet.

Select the alignment tool or shortcut "q"
Activate the layer you want to align.
(Make sure this layer is cropped smaller than the image size)
You should have a hand cursor to select the object on the canvas. when
you do you should see 4 small squares outlining how big the object is
that you want to align.
Now select the alignment buttons in the toolbox.

I hope this is all it is and this works for you.

Thank you.
Took me a while to figure out -- I had a mostly transparent layer on top and the
selection goes by stacking order.

An excellent solution to the problem; using the rulers to snap was also good.

Thanks all for your help.

Gary