Re: [Gimp-user] Scanned negatives, moire patterns and GIMP?

Here's a link to one portion of the image:

http://i.imgur.com/6RaV68i.jpg

On 12/4/2014 7:11 PM, Liam R E Quin wrote:
  If they can't resolve this, what are my chances of solving the problem
with GIMP? I tried a few of the existing filters without visible results.
My first Google searches haven't turned up a good detailed tutorial on
moire removal.

There's a G'MIC filter for it. But it depends on the exact nature of the pattern as to what's best. I get them when
scanning colour books, because of the way the books are printed (it's actually unavoidable unless you use a
"descreen filter" in the scanner driver, but better to do it in GIMP). For that, separating into layers and
using gaussian blur is often best, but another possibility is to use wavelet decomposition and delete that high
frequency layers. G'MIC has a filter to do that, too.

If you can share a sample I can have a better look.