Re: [Gimp-user] Grid Based Maps

On 08/28/2014 10:44 PM, Atredie wrote:
Am 29.08.2014 um 02:28 schrieb Atredie: When ever you
complain about the Gimp habitat, and it's your to be entitled
to do complain, but  disclose your operating system details.

Thank you

Sorry, I wasn't complaining about it, I was complaining about
my sheer noobishness and asking for help.  Which means I posted
this in the wrong forum...  oops.

Win 8.1

Hey, you aren't in the wrong place!

For applications where you will be moving geometric shapes around,
Inkscape might be a better choice than the GIMP, though.

The GIMP treats images as pixels - a grid of small colored squares
like a digital photograph.  Although you can make shapes and put
them on their own layers to move them around freely, that's not
what the GIMP was really made for; it's loaded with photo editing
and freehand drawing tools that just aren't relevant to making and
connecting blocks of stuff.

Inkscape treats images as collections of geometric shapes, which
can easily be duplicated, moved around, rotated, joined into
groups, etc.  It's much closer to the right tool for the job you
described earlier.  One of my favorite things about Inkscape is
that its help menu includes tutorials that are themselves Inkscape
SVG grahic files, that you edit and mess with while you read.

Once you understand the basics in Inkscape, making a grid, making
the grid sticky to easily align shapes precisely, and making the
grid into visible lines of any color, thickness, etc., above or
below your other shapes, should be a snap.

Another advantage with Inkscape is that vector graphics can be
enlarged or reduced to any size with no loss of detail.  SVG
stands for Scalable Vector Graphics.  Comparing this with a GIMP
image file is like comparing a CAD drawing to a digital photograph.

Since you are going to have to climb up a learning curve either
way, I would suggest giving Inkscape a go to see if it seems to be
a better fit, before going further into learning how to use the
GIMP for this one project.

:o)

Steve