[Gimp-user] Trouble opening JPG files with black features

Hello,

I have recently been getting into long-exposure and night-time photography. I am
using a Canon Digital Rebel, and Windows 7 64-bit OS. I am updated to GIMP
2.8.10.

Whenever I try to open a JPG file in GIMP that contains any solid black features
(i.e. black night background, even black silhouettes during fairly well-lit
evening shots), I see the program thinking for about five seconds (rotating
circle) and then, nothing. I have waited as long as ten minutes with no results.
I have converted the RAW files to JPEG on two different editing programs before
bringing them to GIMP. The image thumbnail appears with no hesitation, but the
full image can not be opened.

--
C210LUV (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)