[Gimp-user] Major Puzzlement with GIMP

I'm new to GIMP. I installed Version 2.8.4 on my Mac mini (with standard Windows
keyboard). The very first thing I'm playing with is the Clone Tool. There's a
dearth of information on how to use this tool, but the few scraps I found
suggest that all I need to do is press CTRL and use the mouse to select an area
to clone. However, every time I do this, I bring up a context menu (File; Edit;
Select; View; Image; Layer; Color; etc.). The cursor consists of a stamp,
crossed-out circle, and dotted circle (representing the brush).

I've tried everything I can think of, but I am absolutely puzzled by this. It is
so unintuitive and opaque. What can possibly be wrong???

Maybe I should uninstall this software and look for something less opaque. Right
off the bat, the program shouldn't be so difficult to get started in...

--
horrido (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)