Re: [Gimp-user] Adware/malware in Gimp Windows distribution?

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 10. Oktober 2013 um 08:10 Uhr
Von: "Ean Schuessler" <ean brainfood com>

My girlfriend downloaded the GIMP windows build referenced off the GIMP.org website and it seems to have a
Malware/Adware package called "Sweetpacks" bundled with it.

We found that some people get confused by the ads on the Sourceforge site and click on them instead of
wainting for the real downloads. It has become a common practice by malwertizers to emulate those big green
download arrows to lure in visitors. This is why ad blockers are no longer an optional add-on, but mandatory.

I realize that the Windows version of GIMP is linked with a "hey, this isn't us" kind of disclaimer but the
fact that GIMP.org links to it gives the sense that its contents are trustworthy or, at least, not hostile.

As said above, please try to verify whether this was the actual installer, or one offered via one of the ads.
We have agreed to move the installers to the gnome ftp servers to get rid of this problem.

--
Regards,
Michael