Re: [Gimp-user] Help changing to white background

Hi,

On 21.11.2013 at 5:55 AM judy_t_judy wrote:
I am trying to whiten my photo background  .I used the levels tool but now i
want to adjust the tone on my photograph to make the picture brighter .I am
using the instructions on this link
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/gimp-tutorial--whiten-a-dull-background-15818
but i am lost on the instructions to fix the tone.

Could someone please give me simpler instructions on how to make my image
brighter.

The shortest way to achieve this is:
1. Select the background, i.e. with the Lasso or the Intelligents Scissors tool or the Quickmask feature.
2. Use the Brightness/Contrast tool to adjust the brightness.

Alternatives:
If you want to have finer adjustments use the Levels tool: drag the
right and/or middle triangle slider a bit to the left.
To make the background look a bit more homogenous, use Filters/Blur/
Gaussian Blur between steps 1 and 2.
If you want to make the background pure white: use Select/Feather
to make the border of the selection a bit softer. Then drag the white
color from the Color selector into the selection.

To get rid of the disturbing upper left corner: crop it away with
the Crop tool or clone it away with the Clone tool.

Also see the [online help] and [tutorials].

Kind regards,

Sven

[online help]:
http://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/