Re: [Gimp-user] Histogramm -- values

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 4:39 AM, Wolfgang Hugemann <Auto hugemann de> wrote:
However, there seems to be no way to display the histogramm in terms of
brightness in Gimp (?). The "value" seems to be just max(R,G,B). But
luminance is generally caculated by
Y = 0.2126 R + 0.7152 G + 0.0722 B
see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminance_%28relative%29.

Wouldn't it make sense to offer this option?

In my opinion, the (still) widespread use of value = max(max(r,g),b)
is a remnant of 8bit image processing centric performance short-cuts.
We would be better off by using luminance in most or all the cases
where this approach is currently used.

/pippin