Re: [Gimp-user] Can't save bug?

On 11/03/13 17:53, Ian H wrote:
I recently encountered a very frustrating situation and am wondering
if it's a bug or "feature".

I was working on an image, it was quite big, 7000 px wide, 6000 tall
but only 5 quite simple layers, the .xcf is 7.8MB.

All of a sudden after pasting from another .xcf file (which I had just
10+ times with no similar result) I moved the pasted part, the image
was pretty much finished and I went up to click file>export and
everything between "open recent" and "quit" in the file menu was grey.
No chance to save or export and it appears half an hour of work lost.
It was as if the file menu didn't think I had a file open, but if I
scrolled accross to the filters menu for example, they were available
for selection which they are not when you have no image open. I could
edit the image and change layer visibilities and do what I wanted to
the image - except save it. I had flash backs to darker days of
shareware version of lesser softer titles on proprietary systems. In a
moment of frustration I hit the little "x" to resign for the night and
it warned me to save before closing.. I hit save as the only option
was to overwrite a file I didn;t really want to overwrite but I did
and then wrote this.

Any ideas? It's 2.8.6 running on an up to date ubuntu 13.10 on a high end PC.

To at least save the work and preserve the original, rename the original
.xcf file outside of gimp, then do the save before quitting.

I am running 2.8.6 on fbsd and have never seen this.  I have images a
lot larger than that (41,000 x 3,000 px) and have had no problem other
than running out of temp file space.  In that case, the gimp warned me
and I reconfigured; so I don't think it is related to the image size.

Were there any error messages in the console display?

I don't know under what circumstances the items under the file menu are
greyed out other than no image; even if the image is read-only they are
still active, so it's a total mystery to me.  It does sound like it
somehow got its head wedged thinking no file was open.

I presume you can't reproduce the problem?

Gary