[Gimp-user] GIMP Text Tool

Hi - I am trying to add text to a  graphic, I have tried 3x's. after the
2nd time the program closed I got smart enough to save it every step of the
way. I can add the text, and duplicate the layer. I want to make a shadow
effect. I can move the top layer into the position that I want. But as soon
as I try to change the color of the top layer the whole program shuts
down!!! This is so frustrating. I have a few photo shoots coming up, and I
will need to be able to add text and graphics to the photos. I used 2.6
until it quit working on my computer, so I uninstalled it and installed the
2.8 version... any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated! I am
using Windows 7!

Jenn G