[Gimp-user] HATE the new save vs. export behavior

Was looking for an explanation on why devs changed the default behavior and
found this thread.
Spend couple of hours reading it (and other pages about the change).

Still, there are some unclear points that I, as a developer, do not understand;
haven't seen the code and is too lazy to spend a day to try to analyze the
source code, so maybe someone will be so kind to answer my questions?

In general, options complicate code and make it less manageable. Every option
virtually increases amount of cases where application can fail. A snowball can
soon become an avalanche.
Do you use automatic tests? How, exactly, it makes it less manageable? Why can't
you use Strategy pattern for Save action?

Certain planned changes such as better native CMYK support presume that color
separation is done a special mode for exporting. Maintaining a related behavior
switch, when you have such a feature, would be hell.
Why can't you just call overwrite() when a user clicks on Save?

Behavior options make documentation convoluted and lacking consistence.
I can help you with that, just add the following to the docs: "This checkbox
allows to use the old Save behavior, where open files are saved in the same
format with loosing all layers/etc not supported by a target format".

I'm also curious how many hours have been spent in this thread, and how many
hours could it actually take to implement that option. If you have tests and if
you use proper design patterns, it should not take more than a couple of hours.
I wish I could do it, but my primary language is not C.

--
relgames (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)