Re: [Gimp-user] How to make transparency gradiate?

The "fake it" suggestion would work beautifully if the client hadn't flattened everything before sending it. Gotta love that, right? So I made sure "Feather edges" was turned on for the wand tool, selected all the white background, etc, etc, and it worked fine. Didn't hurt that their gray shadow was fairly close to the page's gray background. If they had been very different, I'd still be squawking for a solution.

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 12:17 PM, Chris Mohler <cr33dog gmail com> wrote:
On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 11:55 AM, Keith Purtell <kpurtell imirus com> wrote:
> A client has supplied a logo for Web display (PNG). The logo background is
> white and needs to become transparent. I've done this in GIMP no problem
> with simple graphics. However this one features design elements that cast a
> pale gray shadow onto the white background. Not sure how to make the
> transparent background play nice with the shadow area?
>
> If it helps, the background color where this logo will be displayed is pale
> gray with a bit of blue tint.

Fake it: put the logo and shadow on top of a background layer in GIMP
that matches the background color of the page.  Export the result.

Or look at CSS drop or box shadows maybe.

Chris