[Gimp-user] Testing gimp without messing up my current version

Hi all.

some months ago, i installed the 2.8 and this version didn't suit to my need for
many reasons. I was a kind of pain to get back to the 2.6 that i use today for
several hours a day.
For me the 2.8 had many lacks and bad choices of design forced me to get back to
the good ol' version. But i'd like to keep in touch with new versions.
The point is that i don't want to mess-up my current 2.6 install for a 2.8+ that
i might not like.
With blender for example, there's the possibility to download a new version that
runs in a standalone mode, all in its own folder and don't interract with the
currently installed one. This allows user to try and test it, and if he likes
it, he can install it over his current version.

Is there a way to do this with new versions of gimp ?

Thanks for your answers.

--
pitibonom (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)