Re: [Gimp-user] HATE the new save vs. export behavior

Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 18:22:35 -0400
From: daniel yacg com
To: gimp-user-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] HATE the new save vs. export behavior

That said, I have noticed GiMP does at least remember your previous
export action which enables a person to quickly update what they are
exporting as they work.  This is a handy improvement which demonstrates
that the developers have recognized the "export" function as a bit of a
stumbling block to a smooth workflow and they are attempting to reduce
it some.

Current versions of GIMP 2.8 also note if the file has been recently exported (with no further changes made
to the image), however I do agree that if the user has to deal with this confirmation message all the time
then GIMP is essentially "crying wolf" to their workflow and this runs a real risk of dismissing things out
of habit and losing work as a result.

On a tangent, when GIMP prompts to save changes I would rather it not remind me how long it's been since the
last (bonafide) Save command.  If I'm currently multitasking, I may open a file and make a few quick edits,
then be working on other applications for the next hour-plus.  When I come back, GIMP prompts to save.
That's good and all, but the way GIMP phrases it is annoying because I haven't actually spent the "last hour"
doing work on it.  I'M the one who knows how much work I might be losing by closing it without a proper Save
and in this case it's only a minute or two tops.  All GIMP has to do is remind me that unsaved changes exist
at all, not make guesses of when or how much.

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger hotmail com