Re: [Gimp-user] HATE the new save vs. export behavior

This is a valid point of human behavior on software. It doesn't matter how many warnings software might offer, the user develops habits and eventually, for convenience sake, clicks on things very habitually. THIS is why malware still gets installed on users' machines despite all of the UAC and other protections put into place. Protections which are inconvenient and/or inconsistent will be ignored due to their inconvenience and/or inconsistency.

This is precisely why the 8 golden rules of UI design were listed: (see link below)

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-gui-list/1998-November/msg00074.html

The first rule is consistency. And it doesn't just mean within the application, but consistency with the environment. The fifth rule, offer error prevention, is way down there for a reason I should think.

That said, I have noticed GiMP does at least remember your previous export action which enables a person to quickly update what they are exporting as they work. This is a handy improvement which demonstrates that the developers have recognized the "export" function as a bit of a stumbling block to a smooth workflow and they are attempting to reduce it some.

(Yes, I broke my own rule about commenting on this particular topic... I just couldn't hold back, because user behavior is a particularly important topic to me in that as a support person, I am faced with the fact that users do what they will no matter how many or what types of warnings and limits and controls you put into place. User problems start and end with the user. Their drive to do things they think they want to do over-rides what they should or shouldn't do every time. Writing software to attempt to counter human user behavior is, in the end, completely futile and even hazardous to attempt. People are 'thoughtless' by nature. Habits are killers. But it is our nature to be this way. We may as well embrace it rather than fight it. This is precisely why the 8 golden rules were written as they were.)