[Gimp-user] Creating Transparent Text

I apologize if this goes out twice. I believe my first effort bounced.

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 11:42 AM, Liam R E Quin <liam holoweb net> wrote:

It's usually better just to have an opaque signature: it's harder to
remove and can become a part of the artwork.

Browsing and reading this I'm reminded of my problem w/signature brush.   Several
years ago, I made a brush by signing my name in black ink onto a white paper and
scanning that paper.  I use it unobtrusively in bottom right corner when I print photos
to frame for gallery showings.  The problem is this:  I can't remember how I made the
background transparent.   I have about 12 sig brushes which are no good because
with all of them, I used an eraser to get the white background off -- messy.  I know there is
a good method of doing this -- I did it years ago -- but I've tried many times over many
months, and can't recall how I made the signature black with transparent background.
Does my question make sense?  How is that done?  (The brush I made successfully
has my name with 2008, and I just erase the date every time I use it, but I'd like to
know how to do it again and do it right.)

--
Helen Etters
using Linux, suse 12