[Gimp-user] Creating Transparent Text

I am working on a webpage to sell my photography. I am trying to create text with my copyright information on the photos so that they cannot be copied (pirated).

I have read the GIMP documentation and experimented with adding text to the photo. I cannot find how to make the text visible but not solid. I do not want it to impact the viewing of the photos.

Someone once told me I needed to create a "mask" to do this or a custom brush.  Someone here on the gimp-user list said i could do it just with the text tool.

Any help you can offer will be appreciated.