Re: [Gimp-user] Unskewing images of flat rectangular objects in Gimp

> Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 00:46:53 -0800
> From: elmer cabekaziruronometu wix gmail com
> To: gimp-user-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Unskewing images of flat rectangular objects in Gimp
>
> Øyvind Kolås <pippin gimp org> wrote:
> > The perspective tool has an inverse mode, if you align the grid lines
> > from the wireframe preview with the lines desired to become
> > horizontal/vertical and then do the transform you should end up with a
> > rectified version of the quadliteral.
>
> Thanks! That worked. The size and aspect ratio of the rectified
> quadrilateral isn't always close to what I want it to be, though. Is
> there a way to specify this before I do the perspective transform, or
> do I just need to do it in 2 steps (correct perspective, and then
> re-size)?

This is certainly an issue - the perspective tool would really benefit from having an option to automatically preserve the x/y aspect ratio (much like scaling already does), though exactly how it would work mathematically I don't know.  I've found that if you note the [1,1] and [2,2] numbers in the transformation matrix you can do a manual rescale using those values as your X and Y scalars and it really helps, but it's not exact since it doesn't take rotations into account.

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger hotmail com