[Gimp-user] Why so COMPLICATED?

As another example of something that was simple and fun in FotoTouch, here's how
I'd make laserfire for my Star Wars ships or AT-ATs:

1. Select a narrow area where I want a single green laser bolt to appear.
2. Use sliders to lighten the area and color it yellow or yellow-green.
3. Feather the edges with the handy slider.  <Enter> to lock it in.
4. Select the larger area around the laser-to-be.
5. Repeat steps 2 & 3 to create the "aura" around the main laser light.
The results, if I take the time to do it right, can be spectacular.  I hope you
can use the inserted link:

http://youtu.be/pfgtXmvIcUI

Actually, I don't remember the exact procedure, but the above is fairly
accurate.  I may need to repeat all the steps for each laser bolt, but it was
easy enough.  Not sure, but maybe a selection can be set aside in its own window
for later use.  Here's where layers can be convenient, I suppose.

In the GIMP, I was barely able to create some decent lasers once.  Once.  If it
were easy or fun, I'd have done it many times by now.  Even without the benefit
of layers or "floating" objects saved to disk, I think I would still prefer
using FotoTouch to make my Star Wars things fire those cool lasers.

Joe

--
SirCrow (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)