[Gimp-user] Download of GIMP in 'wrong' language !

Last night I  downloaded GIMP v2.8.4 and think I requested an English language download.
When I came to open the program I find the language is Portuguese.
This I can partly understand as I have a Portuguese language version of Windows Vista and a Portuguese keyboard.
However : 1/ If I did request English as my download language why do I have Portuguese ?
And to resolve the problem with a 'new' download 2/ Can I download GIMP again (with more care) to overwrite my current install or change the language from within my current install ?
Understand from gimp-user-list that I may be able to download (say) 2.6 into a folder keeping it separate from 2.8.4 ? Any comments ?
Peter Stotesbury