Re: [Gimp-user] how to draw interrupted lines

> Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 07:25:22 -0400
> From: daniel yacg com
> To: gimp-user-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] how to draw interrupted lines
>
> I think you can't really do that. But I will write up a little on how
> to work with the paths tool to achieve what you want. It was Inkscape
> which taught me how to use the paths tool the best, I think, because the
> way Inkscape works, it's all lines and paths and the like.
>
> I have to go to work now, but will try to steal a few moments to put
> something together for you. I think then it will become much clearer.
>
> But the short answer is "paths tool" and "paint along path."
>

> On 04/03/2013 01:19 PM, 3052192 wrote:
> >
> > Hi friends,
> >
> > how can I draw in GIMP freehanded *_curved_*
> >
> > interrupted lines (dotted; dot-dash-dot; dash-dash;...) ?
> >
> > To create lines first with a pencil and to use then the rubber
> >
> > gives uneven and so unsatisfactory results.
> >
> > Thanks for help!
> >
> > Konrad

Didn't somebody else ask this same question just yesterday?

First, as mentioned, you will get smoother results if you use a Path because the "Stroke Path" dialog allows you to specify the dash pattern at stroke time.  (Note that -- unlike Inkscape -- GIMP has no "freehand path" tool.  The closest you get is drawing with the Freehand selector and then converting it to a path, minding that it does not work for self-intersecting paths.)

But if you NEED to paint dashed lines using a freehand paint tool this is actually still possible, it just requires some configuration first...

1 - Create a custom Gradient that represents the dash pattern you want to draw. (Keep in mind that just the same as with stroking a path you can't really do "dots" with this method, only "dashes".)

2 - Create a custom Dynamics set that paints using a gradient (there isn't one in the default package).  To do this you need to link "Color" to "Fade" on the Dynamics mapping .  (Linking "Angle" to "Direction" also helps if you're painting with a non-round brush.)

3 - Configure your draw tool (pencil, paintbrush, etc.) to use the gradient, the dynamics, and a repeating Fade length (typically sawtooth).

Once you have that, your brush size effectively controls your 'stroke width' and 'cap style' (e.g. a round brush yields round caps) and your fade length controls the overall length of the pattern.  Then draw away!

The first two steps aren't exactly easy, so I've attached a few sample files to demonstrate the process.

[I wanted to include a screenshot as well, but that pushed it over the size limits of this mailing list]

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger hotmail com