Re: [Gimp-user] alpha channels vs masks

Hi Bernie,

You are right. Open an image, create an empty transparent layer and
put the empty layer below the image layer. Create a mask on the image
layer and paint black where you want a transparent background. The
transparent layer automatically has an alpha channel and so does the
exported png with the transparent background.

So if you want transparent pixels, I guess you need an alpha channel.
However, if you are blending different layers together and you don't
need any transparent or partially transparent pixels in the final
image, then masks would seem to be easier to use because you can paint
on them directly.