Re: [Gimp-user] Save Export Complaints

"Now that's a really neat idea.  What (affordable) MIDI controller do you like?"

I use a Korg NanoKontrol. The one here with the sliders and knobs:

http://www.korg.co.uk/products/software_controllers/nano2/sc_nano2.php

I'm not sure how much it is but it's cheap compared to what there used
to be. It's very small and portable so ideal for Gimp. It communicates
with alsa (via USB). You have a small GUI app called aconnectgui where
you can see the Korg output and Gimp input. You just connect them up.
I actually do it from command but that's because I couldn't find
aconnectgui in the Arch repo. Here's some info from the Ubuntu site:

https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/precise/aconnectgui/

One problem is that you need the Korg editor (Windows or OSX) to
change MIDI functions on the NanoKontrol. That should work via wine
but I didn't try that. The reason you have to change some things is
that by default some of the switches are momentary or maybe that
wasn't the problem. I can't remember exactly but I had to edit a few
things. I'm not on Linux at the moment to look at it exactly but
you'll find MIDI under Input controllers in Gimp. You have a vast
choice of Gimp parameters and you set them by choosing the one you
want then moving the appropriate knob on the controller to set it to
the parameter. There is stacks you can do. I like to set it to change
colours i.e. one knob will increase red etc. Selecting colours, values
etc in the colour wheel suddenly starts to become obsolete. Actually,
thinking about that particular function, I think that was why I had to
edit the Korg via its OSX(or Windows) editor. I think you need that
particular value to not go to zero value. Probably I should document
all this somewhere properly.  The huge advantage over a graphics
tablet slider is that MIDI has continuous controllers. This means you
move the knobs and sliders up and down to exact values. You are not
sending a keyboard command. It's really quite ingenious whoever
thought of adding that to Gimp and I bet hardly anyone uses it.