[Gimp-user] Creating of metal textures?

I am new to GIMP and to the forum. I am in the learning curve and also read an excellent book Beginning GIMP
by Akkana Peck!

I am working on a 3D object (a bus) and want to add a deep metal color on it!
I don't know how to make a texture so I get that nice metal color! I am going to paint the bus red and some
other color but I get lost in all effects etc!
I would like someone to give me advice how I continue after adding a red color on the texture so I get it to
look like a nice deep metal color!

Thank you!

--
Alfhak712 (via gimpusers.com)