Re: [Gimp-user] The "Save" dialog box has no response when using tablet pen.

2012/10/1 Jehan Pagès <jehan marmottard gmail com>

Are you using the linuxwacom X driver (which has some support for
Waltop tablets, I see:
http://linuxwacom.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=linuxwacom/xf86-input-wacom;a=blob;f=src/wcmUSB.c;h=9f327ba6b0210a04933da22861750d304d7edb86;hb=HEAD#l172
and your tablet is apparently a Walcom one sold under another brand)
or the X driver from the vendor itself
(http://www.waltop.com.tw/download.asp?lv=0&id=2 which is apparently a
fork off of linuxwacom 0.8.4, according to linuxwacom sources)?
Note that I don't see your device (0x5a) in linuxwacom list. So I
guess the answer is that you are using the vendor driver. Just to be
sure though, would be worth checking.

Dear Jehan:

I did not install the driver from the vendor or xserver-xorg-input-wacom, I am not sure it's wacom driver or not.
The dmesg and Xorg.0.log seems not talking about this, do you know how to check the driver?

The problem may indeed come from the driver rather than Gimp,
especially if you use the wrong one (do you use the pen a lot outside
Gimp? Do you have similar issues elsewhere?). Same questions could
apply to GTK: if you have similar issues on other programs, but only
GTK ones, may be a bug in the GTK graphical toolkit.

Similar problem happened in Mypaint, but the problem happened only when opening Preference dialog (sometimes), it never happened with Save dialog.
Except for Mypaint, no other GTK application had this problem, eg. leafpad.

For this kind of tablet, you see only a pen input device? Not a pad
too? (I know this is a special type of machine, where the pad is also
the screen. So the question is maybe stupid, but as I cannot test
myself...)

In "Input" dialog, there are only 2 device:
(1) Virtual core xtest pointer
(2) Waltop Tablet

I see you mention Gimp 2.4.7 and 2.6. Have you tried with 2.8 (last
stable version 2.8.2)? Maybe that's fixed there. That would be worth
installed (or compiled if Debian has no package yet maybe).
I would say that if there is no easy fix to your issue (like a
configuration one that we tried), nor a driver issue, installing the
latter version of Gimp should be the next step to diagnose.

Jehan

Thanks for your reminding, I had tested this problem with gimp 2.8.2 yesterday.
The pen worked fine with gimp-2.8.2, I have migrated to gimp-2.8.
Note: this "No response to tablet pen" problem only happened when meeting the About dialog (Help > About).

Thanks you.

Regards,

Minshein0330