[Gimp-user] [NEEDED ASAP] GIMP 2.8 Not Accepting My ABR Files

I typically use GIMP 2.6. Computer crashed recently so now I've downloaded 2.8. When I download ABR files
into the brushes folder, the program won't start. It wigs out and doesn't work. I copied abr files just fine
into my GIMP 2.6. Why is this happening?

I even went so far as to find GIMP 2.6 on the web for download. But the same problem. There are strange 'VBR'
files now that didn't used to be in my old brush folder but are suddenly there now.

Can anyone help me out?

(and before anyone blithely tells me 'gimp doesn't accept abr files' my old 2.6  accepted them JUST fine. No
fancy converter or anything)

--
prettypea (via gimpusers.com)