[Gimp-user] Question About Gimp

I tried to get into the IRC to ask this question but I kept getting a 404 message.  My question is....is "filling with transparent" the same as "tinting"?  (explanation: In the image editor that Photobucket used to have I could change the color of something in a picture without losing the original shading, etc.  They no longer have that image editor so I am looking for an Open Source program that is easy to use and has that feature.).

Candy