Re: [Gimp-user] HATE the new save vs. export behavior

> Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 06:14:30 +0200
> From: forums gimpusers com
> To: gimp-user-list gnome org
> CC: team gimpusers com
> Subject: [Gimp-user] HATE the new save vs. export behavior
>
> Isn't Gimp still open source? Hasn't one of the many great things about OSS always been that you can hack it, alter it to your preferences? If you don't know how, you could always search for it.

I wager the number of users who are able and willing to hack GIMP code to their preferences is still vastly outweighed by the number of users who use GIMP solely out-of-the-box, à la "free Photoshop".  Especially Windows users, who are more accustomed to close-source products.

... which gives me a laugh every time I hear the argument that GIMP is not intended to be a Photoshop clone.  Sure that may be true, but isn't it true that the line between GIMP and Photoshop gets narrower with every new release?

- Single-window mode?  Got it.
- Brushes organized by brush family?  Yup.
- Save/Export distinction?  Check.
- Layer groups?  Done.
- Nondestructive adjusment layers?  Nope, not yet, but in the works.

I think the main reason I picked up GIMP in the first place was I needed something capable of scaling images with interpolation, and a previous app I used for that (called IPhoto Plus) was horribly outdated and hitting its limits.

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger hotmail com