[Gimp-user] No help for working with scanned negatives

I didn't find *any* advice for handling a negative scan procedure inside the online help section.
Maybe it is my fault.
I just wanted to scan a 35mm negative (Kodak Vericolor II) and print some pictures. It is *not* comfortable to work with gimp for me as a tradtional analog photographer and newby in digital. I just tried a (very expensive!!!) version of AcdSee and it is always exactly the same problem.
Should it be like that?
Just another tool for pros and computer nerds?
I'm very disappointed...
Daniel