Re: [Gimp-user] Calculate area and diameter

On 01/22/2012 04:32 PM, Steve Kinney wrote:
On 01/22/2012 03:59 PM, Stefan Maerz wrote:
A while ago I calculated area by creating a transparent layer and
painting with a brush the locations that I wanted to include in
the area. Then using GIMP's histogram (color>Info>histogram), I
got a pixel count for that new layer. (Side note, make sure you
have the right layer selected in the layers dialog)

Then I used a proportion ( Pixels:Inches ) that I got from a scale
in the image to calculated area.
WOW, I thought I knew some clever tricks but this one wins the
prize!  In the case at hand, Select By Color with suitable threshold
adjustments in the Tool Options tab, followed by Colors>  Info>
Histogram should do the trick.  I just checked and if there is a
selection, the Histogram tool only looks at that.

That is even simpler than my suggestion. In my case it wouldn't have worked because the colors did not contrast.

An (perhaps simpler) alternative would be to use the "Ellipse Select Tool" in the Toolbox to get a selection.

-Stefan Maerz