[Gimp-user] Problem with the Newsprint filter?

So, yesterday I was trying to halftone an image.  Everything was working fine, but I couldn't figure out how
to use it the way I wanted to.  So I found a tutorial.  I read it, figured out what I was doing wrong, went
on my way.  Everything seemed fine.

Then I went to use my newfound knowledge, and lo and behold, the Newsprint filter stopped working.  No matter
what I tried, the preview image looked just like the original.  And when I tried applying the filter anyway,
figuring maybe something was just up with the preview panel, nothing happened.  The filter pauses to load
when I change something, acting like it's working, but nothing happens.  The closest thing I've been able to
get was the image completely disappearing when I change a certain setting (switch to luminosity, in case you
were wondering).  I tried googling my problem, but all that gets me is tutorials and the how-to-use guide.  I
was hoping someone here would know what's wrong and how to fix it.

Thanks in advance!

--
Zweibaby (via gimpusers.com)