Re: [Gimp-user] Uninstalling Gimp crashes computer

I didn’t *let* her install it – in fact, it’s inspired some rousing review of what is OK to do (or not do) on the laptop.  Nothing else has been installed recently.  By installation tree, do you mean going to the location of the Gimp folder on the c drive?  I did go out there and try to uninstall or delete from there, but when I do so now, I get a message that the path refers to a location that is unavailable.  Could this possibly mean that one of the uninstall attempt was successful, despite crashes?  If so, it seems weird that the folder is still showing up.  As far as the Gimp installers you reference, will those also uninstall?  At this point, I just want to try to get things back to where they were before moving on to anything else.

From: gimp-user-list-bounces gnome org [mailto:gimp-user-list-bounces gnome org] On Behalf Of Ofnuts
Sent: Friday, January 06, 2012 10:04 AM
To: gimp-user-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Uninstalling Gimp crashes computer

On 01/06/2012 06:20 PM, Marci Davis wrote:

My 11-year old daughter installed Gimp on our laptop.  Shortly after, we started having trouble with speed and resolution.  Gimp will not open, nor can we uninstall it.  In fact, when I try, it crashes the computer.  Any suggestions?

There are two reputable places to get Gimp Windows installers:  the gimp-win project on sourceforge (http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/) for the 2.4 & 2.6 versions and Partha's site for 2.7 (http://partha.com/). Everything else is a bit suspiscious, and could have included unwanted software (trojan or else). Or it's a mere chronological coincidence and Gimp isn't implied (if you let your 11-yo install anything on your computer, goes know what else got installed).

As far as I remember the Gimp Windows installation is all under the Gimp installation tree (no DLLs copied to Windows directories) and it doesn't set anything in the registry, so erasing the installation tree may be sufficient to uninstall it completely.