Re: [Gimp-user] Web development question?

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 3:18 PM, Daniel Smith <opened to gmail com> wrote:
Hey all. I would hope this might get some responses...

I just today saved my first png file.
In doing so Gimp came up with a choice box, as to parameters you can choose
or not:

Interlacing (Adam7) (whatever that is)
Save background color
Save gamma
Save layer offset
Save resolution
Save creation time

Interlacing means the rows of the image are not saved in order. This
allows web browsers to display a full ugly version of the image right
away and make it look prettier as the image gets downloaded. If you
don't use interlacing, then the image appears to swipe downwards on
the page as its downloaded. In this day and age of fast Internet
connections, this isn't such a big deal anymore. But my personal
preference leans towards interlacing.

Save background colour mean the PNG file will specify a colour to use
as the replacement for the transparency if transparency isn't
supported by the viewer. Mostly irrelevant these days. Leave it
unchecked to reduce the file size by a tiny, tiny amount.

Save gamma saves the image's reference brightness. Mostly irrelevant.
Leave it unchecked to reduce the file size by a tiny, tiny amount.

Save layer offset: no clue (I always leave it unchecked)

Save resolution sets a scale for print Or other non-pixel-size)
output. Irrelevant for web use. Leave it unchecked to reduce the file
size by a tiny, tiny amount.

Save creation time is kinda self-explanatory. Mostly pointless unless
you want an embedded record of when the file was saved. Leave it
unchecked to reduce the file size by a tiny, tiny amount.

--
Frank Gore
THE place to talk photography!