Re: [Gimp-user] Use GIMP for commercial / business purposes?

On 02/11/2012 01:00 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 12:55 PM, Dan . wrote:
To the GIMP User List,

I understand that I can sell GIMP for a fee if I want, but I am not clear
whether or not I am allowed to use GIMP for commercial / business purposes.
You are.
Yes, the license clearly allows that. And furthermore, should you find your business model successful, and you discover from your customer base that a particular feature not in GIMP would increase its prospects, you are perfectly at liberty to hire a coder to develop that feature.

However, if he or she wants/needs to modify GIMP to add/enable that feature, the license allows that as well, provided those modifications are turned over to the GIMP community for possible release to the rest of the GIMP world. Assistance in terms of code improvement is the "coin of the realm" in the FOSS movement, as I understand it.

Of course, not all modifications would "make the grade", but as long as the code modifications were made available to the community (and consequently to the wold at large) the license requirement would seem to be satisfied. And the GIMP community would love to have additional assistance.

 -- Burnie