Re: [Gimp-user] Photo protection - transparent foreground

On 12/17/2012 08:34 AM, d b wrote:
Hi all,

I am new to the list. I have searched the lists for an answer to my question, but no joy. Hopefully one of you would be kind enough to help me. I have heard you can protect your photographs on the web by applying a transparent overlay to them. When someone then right clicks and saves the image, all they get is the transparent foreground and not the photo underneath.

I have tried to do this using GIMP. However, the web guidance I have seen says you also have to edit the HTML code to do this.

Is there a way of doing this from GIMP itself without involving HTML code?

Any simple, easy to follow steps for a new user would be greatly appreciated.
I don't think this is possible with a graphics tool because the images produced by it will be "composite" images, meaning all of the content is "merged" into a single image.

You can create a watermark for your images and you can sort of "embed" one that can't be seen by the naked eye but could be "extracted", as necessary, to prove you created the image.

The technique you mention above, which involves HTML, can be accomplished with some CSS styling. If you send me a direct e-mail message, I can help with that since that's outside the scope of GIMP. :)

Peace...

Tom