[Gimp-user] Photo protection - transparent foreground

Hi all,

I am new to the list. I have searched the lists for an answer to my question, but no joy. Hopefully one of you would be kind enough to help me. I have heard you can protect your photographs on the web by applying a transparent overlay to them. When someone then right clicks and saves the image, all they get is the transparent foreground and not the photo underneath.

I have tried to do this using GIMP. However, the web guidance I have seen says you also have to edit the HTML code to do this.

Is there a way of doing this from GIMP itself without involving HTML code?

Any simple, easy to follow steps for a new user would be greatly appreciated.