Re: [Gimp-user] EPS import

On 12/12/2012 08:41 AM, Mikael Ståldal wrote:
When I import an EPS file into GIMP, I cannot get it to render it at
the resolution i specify.

Here is the EPS file: http://www.staldal.nu/files/test.eps

I want the resulting bitmap to be 1170 pixels wide, but when I
specify that it ends up being 1263 pixels wide.

Perhaps I don't fully understand the "Import from Postscript"
dialog. What is the meaning of specifying "Resolution", and which
unit is it in? What does "Try Bounding Box" mean? I don't find any
help or documentation on this dialog.

I am using GIMP 2.8.2 on Ubuntu 12.04.

Well... this is what I did with the .eps file to scale and import it
into the GIMP:

1. Open file with Inkscape, accepting default import options.

2. Select object (one click) if it is not already selected.

3. Do File > Export Bitmap, make sure Export Area is set to
Selection, set the desired width in pixels *, save as .png (the
default format).

4. Import the resulting .png file into the GIMP.

The .eps image is handled as a vector object in Inkscape, so the
scaling should be "perfect".  The .png format is lossless, and uses
transparency to anti-alias against a transparent background (as in
the image at hand), so the use of an intermediate file as described
should not reduce image quality vs. a direct import operation.

Inkscape:  http://inkscape.org/

:o)

Steve

* ignore resolution, it's not relevant in this context