[Gimp-user] Disabling keyboard menu shortcuts

A new feature in 2.8 appears to be keyboard accelerators (shortcuts) for
the pull-down menus.  For example, Alt-S displays the Select menu, Alt-W
the Windows menu, etc.

I have already assigned these key-combinations to other functions in the
keyboard shortcuts menu, but the default menubar assignments are taking
precedence.

How can I disable these menu accelerators so that I can regain the use of
the Alt-[ESVILCTRWH] sequences?

Maybe there should be a toggle on the Configure Keyboard Shortcuts menu to
handle this.  And certainly, if you reassign these keystrokes in the menu,
their original function should be disabled.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
--
Jeffery Small